Table of ContentsLibraryView in Frames

Assigning priority to a volume relative to other volumes

You can use FlexShare to assign a relative priority to a volume to cause accesses to that volume to receive a priority that is higher or lower than that of other volumes on your storage system.


For best results, when you set the priority of any volume, set the priority of all volumes on the system.


  1. If you have not already done so, ensure that FlexShare is enabled for your storage system by entering the following command: priority on
  2. Specify the priority for the volume by entering the following command: priority set volume vol_name level=priority_level

    vol_name is the name of the volume for which you want to set the priority.

    priority_level is one of the following values:
    • VeryHigh
    • High
    • Medium
    • Low
    • VeryLow


    The following command sets the priority level for the dbvol volume as high as possible. This causes accesses to the dbvol volume to receive a higher priority than accesses to volumes with a lower priority.priority set volume dbvol level=VeryHigh system=30

    Note: Setting the priority of system operations to 30 does not mean that 30 percent of storage system resources are devoted to system operations. Rather, when both user and system operations are requested, the system operations are selected over the user operations 30 percent of the time, and the other 70 percent of the time the user operation is selected.

  3. You can optionally verify the priority level of the volume by entering the following command: priority show volume [-v] vol_name
Related concepts
How the default queue works