2018 Undergraduate Courses
  • Students are to follow the requirements of the Handbook for the year they commenced the course.

    However, the subject links below do not contain the subject information for the current year. You can view current subject information through the new Course Handbook.

Bachelor of Medical Mathematics (Honours) | 2018

Testamur Title of Degree:

Bachelor of Medical Mathematics (Honours)



UOW Course Code:




Total Credit Points:



1 year full-time or part-time equivalent

Home Faculty:

Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences

Intake Session(s):


Delivery Mode:

On-campus (Face-to-face)

Delivery Campus:



The Bachelor of Medical Mathematics (Honours) deepens and extends study in the Bachelor of Medical Mathematics, which provides the tools and develops the skills required for advanced modelling and analysis in the medical and health sciences sector.

A Bachelor of Medical Mathematics (Honours) degree considerably widens career opportunities and serves as an initial preparation for employment as a professional medical mathematician/statistician. It also satisfies the entry requirement for higher research studies such as a Master of Philosophy or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.

Entry Requirements & Credit Arrangements

Information on academic and English language requirements, as well as eligibility for credit for prior learning, is available from the Course Finder.

Course Learning Outcomes

Course Learning Outcomes are statements of learning achievement that are expressed in terms of what the learner is expected to know, understand and be able to do upon completion of a course. Students graduating from this course will be able to demonstrate:

CLO Description
1 Demonstrate advanced theoretical and technical knowledge in mathematics or statistics;
2 Demonstrate well-developed cognitive and technical skills in mathematics or statistics to select and apply mathematical or statistical methods to analyse and generate solutions to complex, medically related problems;
3 Transmit mathematical or statistical knowledge, skills and ideas to others; and
4 Apply knowledge and skills ethically to demonstrate autonomy and well-developed judgement as a medical mathematician or statistician.

Course Structure

A candidate will complete a thesis (worth 25% of overall degree) in an area of interest under the close supervision of one or more members of staff in the discipline. The other 75% of the degree consists of coursework subjects chosen from those offered by the School or the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI), with the approval of the BMedMath Honours Coordinator.

The overall grade of Honours is determined by Method 1 (as described in the General Course Rules).

Honours Guide provides detailed information for SMAS students. Students should also refer to the general University Code of Practice - Honours.

Students must complete one of the following two programs of study.

Program A: Honours in Mathematics   

Subject Code Subject Name Credit Points Session(s)
MATH493 Medical Mathematics Honours Thesis 12 Annual, Spring 2017/Autumn 2018
MATH451 Advanced Topics in Mathematics A 12 Autumn
MATH452 Advanced Topics in Mathematics B 12 Spring
One 300- or 400-level Science subject* 6 Autumn, Spring
One 300- or 400-level MATH/STAT/INFO subject* 6 Autumn, Spring

Program B: Honours in Applied Statistics 

Subject Code Subject Name Credit Points Session(s)
STAT493 Medical Statistics Honours Thesis 12 Annual, Spring 2017/Autumn 2018
STAT451 Advanced Topics in Statistics A 12 Autumn
STAT452 Advanced Topics in Statistics B 12 Spring
One 300- or 400-level Science subject* 6 Autumn, Spring
One 300- or 400-level MATH/STAT/INFO subject* 6 Autumn, Spring

Other Information

For further information email: eis@uow.edu.au or Academic Programs Director

Last reviewed: 24 November, 2017