- Students are to follow the requirements of the Handbook for the year they commenced the course.
However, the subject links below do not contain the subject information for the current year. You can view current subject information through the new Course Handbook.
Bachelor of Journalism - Bachelor of Commerce | 2017
Testamur Title of Degree:
Bachelor of Journalism - Bachelor of Commerce
UOW Course Code:
Total Credit Points:
4.5 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts
Delivery Campus / UAC Code:
Wollongong / 751661
This integrated double degree encompasses the strengths of a major from the Faculty of Business with a degree in Journalism. High level interpersonal, analytical, and project management skills, coupled with the skills gained in a Journalism degree enhances and broadens opportunities and adds another dimension to your employment portfolio.
Academic requirements and English requirements are available from the Course Finder.
Course Learning Outcomes
A number of the course learning outcomes in each of these degrees complement and consolidate outcomes in the partner degree. Applied across two discipline areas, the outcomes are achieved at a broader and more comprehensive level.
The outcomes which are common and consolidated in this joint degree ensure that on successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to apply professional practices through collaborative work;
- Demonstrate the ability to apply professional practices independently;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Apply ethical principles to a range of contexts.
Please refer to the Undergraduate Course Handbook page of each individual degree for a comprehensive list of degree course learning outcomes.
To qualify for the award of the Bachelor of Journalism - Bachelor of Commerce, students must complete a minimum of 216 credit points comprised of the following:
- core subjects prescribed for the Bachelor of Journalism;
- 12cp of Journalism and/or Creative electives as outlined in the Bachelor of Journalism course handbook listing;
- 102cp from the Bachelor of Commerce comprising core subjects (including the capstone subject), plus at least one major;
- Electives to bring the total credit points to 216;
- No more than 90 credit points at 100 level.
Students must achieve a clear pass in the core 300 level subjects to be eligible to graduate with a Bachelor of Journalism - Bachelor of Commerce.
Students must consult academic advisors in the relevant faculties concerning the selection of appropriate subjects.
The Faculty may impose quotas on subjects to ensure optimal class sizes.