2017 Undergraduate Courses
  • Students are to follow the requirements of the Handbook for the year they commenced the course.

    However, the subject links below do not contain the subject information for the current year. You can view current subject information through the new Course Handbook.

Bachelor of Mathematics Advanced (Honours) | 2017

This information is for students commencing their course in 2017. Students follow the rules and requirements for the year they commenced their course. Please refer to the Archives link in the menu for years prior to 2017.

Testamur Title of Degree:

Bachelor of Mathematics Advanced (Honours)



UOW Course Code:




Total Credit Points:



1 year full-time or part-time equivalent

Home Faculty:

Faculty of Engineering & Information Sciences

Intake Session(s):


Delivery Mode:

On-campus (Face-to-face)

Delivery Campus:


Additional Information:

Course Finder


A Bachelor of Mathematics Advanced (Honours) degree considerably widens career opportunities, particularly in mathematical/statistical research. It also satisfies the entry requirement for higher research studies such as a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.

Entry Requirements

Academic requirements and English requirements are available from the Course Finder.

Course Learning Outcomes

Students graduating from the Bachelor of Mathematics Advanced (Honours) will be able to:

  1. Demonstrate advanced theoretical and technical knowledge in mathematics or statistics;
  2. Demonstrate advanced cognitive and technical skills in mathematics or statistics to select and apply mathematical or statistical methods to analyse and generate solutions to complex problems;
  3. Transmit mathematical or statistical knowledge, skills and ideas to others; and
  4. Apply knowledge and skills ethically to demonstrate autonomy and well-developed judgement as a mathematician or statistician. 

Course Structure

A student will complete a substantial thesis (worth 37.5% of overall degree) in an area of interest under the close supervision of one or more members of staff in the discipline. The other 62.5% of the degree consists of coursework subjects chosen from those offered by the School or the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI), with the approval of the BMathAdv(Hons) Coordinator.

Students must complete one of the following two programs of study.

Honours in Mathematics

Subject Code Subject Name Credit Points Session(s)
MATH492 Mathematics Advanced Honours Thesis 18 Annual, Spring 2017/Autumn 2018
MATH451 Advanced Topics in Mathematics A 12 Autumn
MATH452 Advanced Topics in Mathematics B 12 Spring
MATH/STAT/INFO 400 or 300 level* 6 Autumn, Spring

Honours in Statistics

Subject Code Subject Name Credit Points Session(s)
STAT492 Statistics Advanced Honours Thesis 18 Annual, Spring 2017/Autumn 2018
STAT451 Advanced Topics in Statistics A 12 Autumn
STAT452 Advanced Topics in Statistics B 12 Spring
MATH/STAT/INFO 400 or 300 level* 6 Autumn, Spring

* Elective must be 300 or 400 level MATH/STAT/INFO as approved by BMathAdv(Hons) Coordinator.

Grade of Honours

The overall grade of Honours is determined by Method 1 (as described in the General Course Rules).

Honours Guide and Code of Practice - Honours

Honours Guide provides detailed information for SMAS students. Students should also refer to the general University Code of Practice - Honours.

Credit Arrangements

Credit and articulation arrangements are available from the Course Finder. Refer to UOW's credit arrangements for information on how to apply for credit.

Other Information

Further information is available at:

UOW Course Finder
Email: eis@uow.edu.au
Email: Academic Program Directors

Last reviewed: 2 November, 2016