- Students are to follow the requirements of the Handbook for the year they commenced the course.
However, the subject links below do not contain the subject information for the current year. You can view current subject information through the new Course Handbook.
Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Physics) | 2017
Testamur Title of Degree:
Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Physics)
UOW Course Code:
Total Credit Points:
1 year full-time or part-time equivalent
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences
Students who have fulfilled the requirements of a Bachelor of Science (Physics) and achieved the required academic standard may undertake an Honours degree - a year of research training in the discipline.
The Honours degree provides students with the first real opportunity to undertake research on a topic of their interest. The Honours year is particularly important as it represents a gateway to future research opportunities, both in the form of higher research degrees and as a career in research, or to other vocations that require advanced analytical and research skills.
Academic requirements and English requirements are available from the Course Finder.
Course Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Physics) will be able to:
- Integrate knowledge of a variety of fundamental physical laws to analyse behaviour and properties of physical systems;
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of research principles and methods associated with physics;
- Integrate advanced technical and cognitive skills in reviewing, analysing and synthesising information to address specific themes in physics;
- Exercise critical thinking, initiative and judgment in understanding complex concepts and constructing new understandings in contemporary physics;
- Communicate advanced knowledge and ideas clearly and coherently by written and oral means to an expert and non-expert audiences;
- Plan and execute a research project pertinent to physics in collaboration with an academic supervisor.
To graduate with an Honours degree, candidates undertake a research thesis within their major study discipline, together with required coursework. The Honours grade will be calculated in accordance with Method 1. For further information refer to General Course Rules.
|Subject Code||subject Name||Credit Points||Session(s)|
|PHYS457||Research Project||24||Annual, Spring 2016/Autumn 2017|
|PHYS476||Solid State Physics||6||Annual|
|Plus one of the following|
|PHYS471||Theoretical Mechanics||3||Autumn (odd years)|
|PHYS472||Astrophysics||3||Autumn (even years)|